Tuesday, January 5, 2016

It's been awhile...

Well, it has been a while.  I can’t even tell you about all of the changes since I last posted.  Let me just start with where I am now.  I am working in the same school district but as an School-Based Outpatient Therapist.  It’s the exact job I love.  It’s the exact work I love.  It is what I dreamed about when I left community-based.  Yes, there are challenges.  Yes, I am sometimes overwhelmed.
Right now, I am taking a much needed break from creativity at home as the creativity in my job takes all of my energy.
But here we go, some ideas from today.  Ok, I was providing individual counseling to a student who is very distant and negative.  I won’t go into the history.  I am often challenged to get her to leave her classroom to see me.  We talked about the virtue of kindness and made a kindness doll with a pipe cleaner and a balloon.  She is also very compulsive, so the face on the balloon became an all out coloring adventure.  She covered every bit of the balloon with marker.  In any case, I wanted to talk about kindness using this poster from the following blog:

http://schoolcounselorsrock.blog.com/files/2012/11/kindness.jpg


And this iron on:

I am super obsessed with these graphics.  I will definitely be looking into these lessons/materials.

The student enjoyed the activity and as usual, did not want to return to the classroom with the activity we worked on.  But I am still taking it slow, as the therapeutic nature of our relationship is still precarious.  More on that later.  I am so enjoying this job, and learning, and developing new resources.  What are some of your go-to get to know you activities?

No comments:

Post a Comment